If you’re new to hemp products, you’re probably wondering about CBD dosage and how much should be consumed in order to feel the famed benefits of this plant-based supplement. But you may be surprised to learn that there’s no easy answer and no universally agreed-upon dose. You’ll have to carefully experiment to find out what’s best for you, considering your unique body chemistry and desired results. Your first step might be to take a look in the mirror and ask: What should be my CBD dosage? How much should I take?
The person looking back at you will show two major factors that influence your optimal CBD dose — your body weight and size. You should also consider why you are taking CBD, your medical conditions, the severity of your symptoms, the product you are taking, and how many milligrams of CBD each contains. Obviously, there’s a lot that goes into play, but we’re here to help educate and simplify!
Be Patient, Shop Smart, and Consult Your Physician
The Food and Drug Administration is still researching the efficacy of hemp supplements, and though the body of knowledge is growing, much is still unknown. If you’re brand new to CBD, start with what the industry quantifies as a small dose: 10-25mg. If you aren’t feeling better right away, or even after a few days of taking that amount, don’t yet increase your dosage. Rather, keep a journal and document your progress for the first couple weeks. Many testimonies of CBD users report little noticeable effect at first, which some believe is caused by the body replenishing your depleted endocannabinoid system. Once you make CBD consumption part of your routine, you’re more likely to experience desired effects.
The best way to protect yourself and ensure positive results is to know exactly what you’re taking. To ensure your CBD comes from safe, whole-plant, hemp-based products, always buy from an established company that tests its products through one or more independent labs. Check the label to make sure that the manufacturer lists the amount of CBD in each product, and consider the formula listed. Common formulas include full spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate. It’s important to know the difference between these product types; and if your lifestyle accommodates, we recommend purchasing full and broad spectrum formulas which contain a greater range of naturally-occurring plant parts. Science demonstrates that such products offer more effective results through a phenomenon known as the “entourage effect.”
Though CBD is deemed safe with no serious side-effects, it’s advise that you don’t over-consume, as taking too much CBD may cause diarrhea, fatigue, and changes in appetite. Be conservative when first trying hemp products, and if you are taking other medications, it’s imperative that you talk to your doctor. Similar to grapefruit, CBD could affect the efficacy and bioavailability of prescription and over-the-counter medications, and could also cause side effects. For an excellent reference on the subject, click here to review an informative article published by Harvard Medical School. To speak to an actual human expert, go to leaf411.org or dial (844) 532-3411 for free advice from registered nurses trained in cannabis.
Experiment with Various CBD Products That Meet Your Needs
People use hemp products for a variety of different reasons, but according to a 2019 Gallup poll, the most popular motives for consuming CBD include:
- Pain relief, reported by 40% of survey participants
- Anti-anxiety, reported by 20% of survey participants
- Better quality sleep, reported by 11% of survey participants
The symptoms you’re looking to alleviate should be taken into account not only when determining your optimal CBD dose, but also when choosing an ideal product. The severity of your symptoms, too, make an impact in the decision-making process. For example, if you experience chronic pain, you may consider an edible product, as they offer long-lasting effects. But if that pain is localized, maybe a topical would be better suited; or a combination of the two. Here’s a brief overview of various CBD product types:
- Hemp Tinctures: Also referred to as CBD oil, tinctures are easy to dose and offer versatile uses. Apply under the tongue and wait to swallow for 15-30 seconds for the best uptake and fastest results. When consumed in this fashion, you can expect relief in 5-15 minutes, and effects will last 2-4 hours.
- Edibles: This includes gummies, chocolates, tablets, and any other ingestible product. Because these are absorbed through the digestive tract, effects could take up to 2 hrs., but will then last for 6-8 hrs.
- Topicals: Salves and lotions are applied and absorbed directly through the skin; the same applies to bath salt and bath bomb products. Relief from symptoms can be expected within 15-45 minutes, likely dissipating within 4-8 hrs.
- Smokeables: This includes vape products and hemp pre-rolls, which when inhaled, offer nearly instantaneous effects; however, they generally only last 2 hrs. depending on the quantity consumed.
Each of these products are available in various potencies, and again, if you’re a new consumer, it’s advised that you start slow. But if your symptoms are severe, you may find that a higher dose is necessary. Now whether that “higher dose” is 30mg or 300mg, that’s something we can’t say for sure; but there’s one more factor you should take into consideration: your body size and health habits.
How Your Body and Lifestyle Affect CBD Dosage
Lastly, as mentioned previously, you must take into consideration your body weight and size when determining a proper CBD dosage. If you’re petite, chances are that a smaller dose may be all that’s required; start on the low end of the industry standard, 10mg. But if you’re a larger person, you may find that even after a couple weeks, 25mg isn’t working for you. Don’t give up! Mindfully increase your dose until you reach desired effects.
Your lifestyle should also be assessed when considering CBD dosage. For example:
- Frequent Cannabis Users: If you’ve built a tolerance to cannabis products, hemp-derived CBD or marijuana-infused products, it’s likely that your body will require a higher dose.
- Athletes: If you’re an active and fit person, you may find that a stronger CBD dose is required, not only due to potential severity of symptoms like muscular tension and pain, but because your metabolism is likely higher than average consumers’.
- Those In High-Stress Environments: Changes in work structure, school demands, and personal life circumstances can create heightened levels of anxiety and stress. You may find that your CBD dose requires increase when dealing with difficult situations.
While CBD is an incredible, natural supplement to relieve a variety of symptoms, it’s important to approach wellness holistically. If you’re in a high-stress environment and are struggling with sleep, CBD may help; but including other exercises is important, too, such as deep breathing, meditation, and yoga. If you’re an athlete, CBD may support your recovery; but so will staying hydrated and consuming a healthy diet.
There is no cure-all, but when taken at the correct dosages and in the correct form, you’re likely to improve your wellness, physically and mentally. Base your dosage upon your lifestyle, body chemistry, and your goals; and again, remember to contact a medical professional to confirm if CBD is right for you. Once confident and ready to experiment, know that you can discover a variety of trustworthy hemp products from the founders of incredibles here on our website. Best of luck!